Thinking about spending some time exploring winter In Boone NC? You have come to the right place because here are breaking down the things to do during the winter.
Boone NC is found within the Blue Ridge Mountains and it turns into a winter wonderland that is just waiting to be explored. I love visiting here during the winter, because it has some of the best skiing and tubing on the East Coast!
This list will include some of the best Boone winter activities including winter landscapes, local breweries, and twinkling holiday lights! I truly believe that some of the best things to do in Boone NC, are in the winter season!
10 Best Things to do in Boone NC in Winter
Snow Tubing at Appalachian Ski Mountain
The Appalachian Ski Mountain near Boone has plenty of fun Boone NC winter activities. One of my absolute favorites is snow tubing!
Everyone can snow tube, there are no tricky techniques or skills needed, just pure, unfiltered fun. I promise it’s as exciting as it sounds!
The Appalachian Ski Mountain isn’t just any old place for snow tubing. It is actually one of the largest snow tubing parks on the East Coast! They have everything to make your snow tubing adventure safe and a day to remember.
But wait, the Appalachian Ski Mountain has more than just snow tubing, this mountain resort has other attractions, like the French-Swiss Ski School. Where you can learn to snow or ski board. And, they offer special Snow Day rates for NC locals.
Visit Sugar Mountain
Next for winter activities in Boone let’s head over to Sugar Mountain, which is on our list of the best Ski Resorts in North Carolina!
Sugar Mountain is literally like a snow globe that has come to life. Here can you enjoy, skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, ice, skating, the Wilderness Run roller coasters, and even gem mining.
They also host fun winter events too. My personal favorite is the Snowshoe Guided Tours. This is a wonderful way to explore the mountains and stay fit during the winter months.
After a day of outdoor adventures, relax in the cozy lodge, complete with a restaurant, lounge, ski rentals, and even a small shop for souvenirs.
Sledding at Shulls Mill Road
Now, if you’ve never been sledding, you’re in for a special treat in Boone NC in winter. Shulls Mill Road is a well-known destination for this classic special winter activity in Boone. You can’t miss it, you will see families and groups of friends playing and having fun in the snow.
It is located at the intersection of the Blue Ridge Parkway, it’s known as Sandy Flat Gap. Parking is where the N.C. 221, Shulls Mill Road, Flannery Fork Farms Road, and the Blue Ridge Parkway intersect.
But what happens if you get there and find no snow? Snow tubing is just like sledding, and Shulls Mill Road is popular for its snow-tubing spots.
If you need to buy a sled, just head over to Fred’s General Merchantile in Boone. They always have a wide variety of sleds and some yummy bites to keep you warm for your snowy escapades.
Attend the “Festival of Lights” at Chetola Resort
If you are looking for what to do in Boone during Christmas you have to see the magic of the “Festival of Lights” at the Chetola Resort. Here’s a quick layout of what you can expect while visiting one of the best places to visit in Boone in December!
- A Walk to Remember: The festival is a beautiful 1.5-mile walk around Chetola Lake. And the best part is that it is free and open to the public! Be sure to dress warm.
- Lakefront Dining: After your walk, treat yourself to a view of the lights at one of the best restaurants in Boone, Timberlake’s Restaurant. Here they have a mouthwatering menu and stunning views of the lit-up lake, it’s the perfect way to end the night.
- Stay the Night: If you can’t bear to leave the magic behind, book a night at the resort! You could wake up to a winter wonderland, right outside your window. Or check out one of the cabins in Boone NC!
- Don’t Forget the S’mores: One of my personal favorite parts of the festival? The s’more stations! My mouth is watering right now thinking of these perfect wintertime sweets.
Visit The Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock isn’t just any ordinary rock, but an impressive cliff standing 4,000 tall, overhanging the Johns River Gorge that is 3,000 feet below. It gets its name from the constant wind that blows upward. Legend is that snowflakes can even get blown back up into the sky!
This iconic landmark offers breathtaking vistas that turn magical in winter when the surrounding landscape is freshly covered in snow. It’s the perfect spot for a winter selfie or a peaceful moment.
The Blowing Rock is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm in November and December when weather permits.
If you’re looking to extend your day of adventure and looking for what to do in Boone in the winter there are several nearby attractions that are worth checking out. Try your luck at Doc’s Rocks Gem Mine, explore the waterfalls near Boone, or check out the mysteries of Mystery Hill.
Cross Country Skiing
Cross-country skiing is a beloved winter activity in Boone. It offers both serene scenery and a workout. Here are some nearby places to try out Cross Country Skiing.
Roan Mountain: High up in Boone you will find Roan Mountain. This is a beautiful place and great setting for cross-country skiing. The high elevation always has plentiful snowfall, making it a favorite spot for locals and tourists.
Blue Ridge Parkway: When winter comes in the Blue Ridge Parkway, it transforms into a cross-country skiing paradise. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to ski The Viaduct, one of the best routes in the region.
Greenway Trail: Known as the most popular park in Boone, the Greenway Trail winds through the woods, mountains, and along frozen creekbeds. It’s flat, well-maintained, and a perfect place for newbies.
Elk Knob State Park: Just north of Boone, Elk Knob State Park consistently gets snow which provides excellent conditions for cross-country skiing.
Moses H. Cone Memorial Park: This park is home to 25 miles of flat trails that are usually used for hiking in Boone, but in the winter months they transform into cross-country skiing routes.
Beech Mountain Resort: When Beech Mountain gets a good snowfall, it’s the perfect place for to enjoy cross-country skiing and one of the best things to do in Boone NC in January.
Shopping at Mast General Store
The Mast General Store is more than just a place to shop, it is a full-on experience with history and local treasures. This store located on King Street is in the heart of Boone and Appalachians have been shopping here since 1883. You can find comfortable clothing, rugged footwear, and quality outdoor gear for enjoying the mountains in the winter.
But don’t let its vintage vibes fool you. This store is fully stocked with and offers a large range of items that cater to all needs and tastes.
The Mast General Store offers a variety of other goods from everyday fashion to cookbooks and toffee to tents. And if you have a sweet tooth, don’t forget to check out their candy section. It’s a real treat! Visiting here and picking up a few treats is one of the best things to do in Boone in December.
Visit the Turchin Center for the Visual Arts
If you are looking for what to do in Boone in February, try stepping into the warmth of the Turchin Center for the Visual Arts.
They are located on popular on King Street and the Turchin Center is the largest facility of its kind in NC. It’s a home for creative expression and treasures of visual art. There is everything from painting and sculpture to photography. The center shows works from local, regional, and international artists.
This season, they are hosting the Winter Exhibition Celebration. Which is a festive event with new exhibits and a rare opportunity to meet the featured artists. It is a night filled with art, music, and creativity that you won’t want to miss.
Before you leave, be sure to stop by the gift shop. It has handmade items for sale from local artists. You might just find the perfect souvenir or Christmas gift while supporting the local arts.
The Turchin Center for the Visual Arts is open Tuesday through Saturday, and admission is always free! Plus, it’s open all year round, making it a perfect pit stop during your winter adventure in Boone.
Explore Downtown Breweries and Lounges
A trip to Boone is not complete without sampling some of the High Country’s finest brews. It is one of the best things to do in Boone NC in winter! Here is a list of my favorite places to grab a craft beer in Boone.
1. Appalachian Mountain Brewery: This is an award-winning brewery that is full of community love. They have a wide array of craft beers and ciders so there’s something for everyone. The inside is warm and inviting which is perfect for escaping the winter weather.
2. Booneshine Brewing Company: Next up is Booneshine Brewing Company. Here they are brewing creative, flavorful, and very refreshing beers. You can find them in the East End district of Boone, you can pair your pint with some delicious food from their restaurant in-house.
3. Lost Province Brewing Company: This downtown brewery is local and uses local ingredients in both its beer and its food. Check them out for a true taste of Boone.
4. Blowing Rock Brewing Company: Just a short drive from Boone, you’ll find Blowing Rock Brewing Company, nestled in the heart of the charming town of Blowing Rock. With a selection of artisanal ales and lagers, it’s worth the trip!
5. The Local: The Local serves up a great selection of craft beers in a relaxed, friendly setting. It’s also a great spot to enjoy live music on the weekends.
6. The Beacon Butcher Bar: This lounge bar is in a unique and cozy setting. Here they serve craft cocktails, excellent wines, and a big selection of local beers. Come hungry and pair your drinks with one of the delicious charcuterie boards for a real treat.
7. Horton Hotel and Rooftop Lounge: If you’re looking for a fancy spot to enjoy a cocktail, head to the Horton Hotel’s Rooftop Lounge. Enjoy the stunning views of downtown Boone with a fantastic drink.
Visit Tweetsie Christmas at Tweetsie Railroad
Enjoy one of the best things to do in Boone during Christmas, the magic of Tweetsie Christmas railroad! Tweetsie Christmas is a festive event that transforms everyday Tweetsie Railroad into a special winter wonderland.
Book a ticket for a nighttime train ride with over a million twinkling Christmas lights and enjoy holiday-themed activities that promise unforgettable fun! You will also have the opportunity to meet Santa on the weekends.
You can find the Tweetsie Railroad located between Boone and Blowing Rock. The special Christmas Train is open from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm on Friday and Saturday and a few select weekdays from November 24 – December 30.
Remember to dress warmly for the open-air train ride during Christmas in Boone NC.